Kindergarten Language Arts
Reading with Fundations, Phonemic Awareness.
English Language Arts
A balanced literacy program using a variety of resources and instructional strategies including Bradley Reading and Language Arts Program, Fundations Phonics Program K-3, Words Their Way, Guided Reading and Readers' Workshop, and Literature Circles. Lucy Caukins' Writers Workshop
and the Six Traits
models are applied in teaching writing skills.
"Go Math" by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt aligned with Common Core Math Standards.
Science and Social Studies
- System-wide topics are covered at each grade level.
- Learning is enhanced through related field trips and special in-school presentations.
- Integrated learning through a variety of media such as music, art, movement, and technology.
Students are taught visual art topics such as drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, clay and collage.
General music classes are taught once a week.
- Singing, playing instruments, movement, composition, listening, and music history
- Chorus, grades 4-6
- Band, grades 5-6
Weekly classes in the gym or outside help students learn locomotor skills, spatial awareness, balance, coordination, non-competitive games and modified team sports.
Classes visit the library each week for storytelling, reading and research.
Classes learn computer basics including:
- Basic technology skills, word processing, beginning keyboarding
- Multimedia curriculum projects.
Community Service Learning
At the Gates School, we reach out to members of the community to offer help and support. Teachers and parents organize events in which the students give to the outside community. Some examples include a towel drive for the Acton Home Goods Ministry, Gates Giving Tree Project, Gates School Chorus performing in the community.
Additional resources at Gates include:
- School Nurse
- Speech and Language
- Learning Center
- Guidance Counselor
- Resource Room
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy